Friday, August 8, 2008

Donuts and Donut Holes

Canned Biscuit Dough Donuts by Paula Deen

My mom used to make donuts from biscuits and I've been wanting to make them for awhile. Not too long ago I saw Paula make her version so of course I had to try hers. I have to say I don't notice any difference but I didn't use the peanut oil so that might change the flavor a little.

Peanut Oil for frying (I used vegetable oil)
1 t ground cinnamon
1/4 c sugar

Icings:
2 c confectioners' sugar, divided
5 T milk, divided
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 c cocoa powder
2 cans large buttermilk biscuits (I used one can)
colored sprinkles
chocolate sprinkles


NOTE: My mom used to put the donuts in a paper sack full of powdered sugar and let us shake the bag. It was lots of fun!


1. Heat 2 inches peanut oil in a large pot or Dutch oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a shallow bowl, stir together the cinnamon and sugar and set aside. In a small bowl whisk together 1 c of confectioners' sugar, 2T milk, and 1 t vanilla extract, set aside. This is the vanilla icing.
3. In another bowl whisk together 1 c confectioners' sugar, 1/4 c cocoa powder, and 3 T milk and set aside.
4. Lay out the biscuits on a cutting board and with a round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out a hole from the center of each biscuit.

5. Fry them in the oil until golden and then flip with tongs to fry the other side. Toss in the donut holes when all the donuts are completed.

6. Drain on paper towels and then toss in cinnamon sugar or ice and decorate with sprinkles.


NOTE: The icing did not taste very good when it was wet but it was great when it dried on the donuts.



No comments: