Wednesday, February 11, 2009

This is the BEST Strawberry Shortcake ever


Yum, yum! This is the BEST Strawberry Shortcake ever! Sugar coma! It's by Paula Deen, need I say more? Strawberry Shortcake is my husband's favorite dessert so I had found the recipe earlier. I saw that it made a lot and I couldn't make it for just my little ol' family so I made it about a month ago when my inlaws came to visit. Did I say it made a LOT? It was at least 8 good-sized servings but we ate 7 the first night!

1 large angel food cake
For the custard:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

For the glaze: 1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin (recommended: Jell-O)
1 cup water
2 cups fresh strawberries, cut in 1/2 (if berries are extra large, they can be cut into quarters) Whole fresh strawberries and mint leaves, for garnish

Slice cake, using a serrated knife, horizontally into 3 equal layers.
For the custard: Mix together cream cheese, condensed milk, and whipped topping in a bowl; set aside.
For the glaze: In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch, and gelatin; add water. Cook stirring over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Fold in strawberries.
For assembly: Place 1 layer of cake in a large clear bowl. Top with a layer of glaze, followed by a layer of custard mixture. Repeat layering in this order for remaining cake, glaze and custard. Top cake with 3 whole fresh strawberries and fresh mint leaves.

Great for Valentine's Day or the 4th of July, or just because you need it!

No comments: