3/4 t instant coffee powder
1/3 c water
1 c plus 2 T sugar
1/4 c Kahlua
3 egg whites, room temp
1/4 t cream of tartar
1. In 2 qt saucepan, dissolve coffee in water. Add 1 c sugar; stir over low heat until dissolved.
2. Stir in Kahlua. Brush down sides of pan often with brush dipped in water. Bring mixture to boil over medium heat. Boil until candy thermometer registers 240; about 15 minutes adjusting heat if necessary to prevent boiling over. Mixture will be very thick. Remove from heat.
3. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar & salt on high to soft peaks. Working in 2-3 portions, beat in hot Kahlua syrup, beating after each addition to thoroughly incorporate. Continue to beat at high speed 4-5 minutes until meringue is very thick, firm, and cooled to lukewarm.
4. Using pastry bag fitted with large star tip, pipe meringue into kisses about 1 1/2" wide at base and 1 1/2" high onto baking sheet lined with foil, shiny side down.
5. Set on center rack of oven at 200 for 4 hours. WITHOUT opening door, turn heat off and let kisses dry in oven about 2 more hours.
6. Remove from oven as soon as completely cool, transfer to airtight container. Makes 30!