Talerine Beef Casserole from a friend
16 oz bag egg noodles
3 garlic cloves
olive oil for sauteing
2 cans corn
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
28 oz diced tomatoes
1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 and bring large pot of salted waterto a boil for the noodles.
2. Heat 2 T of oil on medium-high heat in a LARGE pot. Add the onions and bell peppers; saute until softened. Add garlic; cook for a minute more. Add tomatoes. Bring to a simmer; let cook for 10 minutes. Lower heat to warm.
3. In a separate skillet, heat to medium-high. Brown the meat. Sprinle salt over the meat while browning. Once browned, use a slotted spoon to remove meat from the pan; put in with the tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
4. Add the egg noodles to the boiling water. Cook as directed. Strain when cooked, but still a little firm.
5. Add egg noodles, corn, and about 2/3 of the cheese to the large pot of beef and tomato mixture. Gently mix in. Transfer mixture to 3 or 4 8x8 casserole pans (I line with foil). Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Place in the oven . Cook for 30 minutes (can go as long as one hour).
In my opinion: This recipe sounded funky when I got it but after lots of procrastination, I finally tried it and was pleasantly surprised. Right after I popped the extra dishes in the freezer, I found out a friends' family was sick so I took one to her. She said her mom made it when she was a child and she just loved it. This uses a lot of dishes but remember, you are making 3 or 4 meals!