Baked Penne with Mushrooms and Cheese
1 lb mushrooms, cleaned, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, peeled
4 T butter
salt & freshly ground pepper
10 oz penne (2 1/2 c)
3 oz Bel Paes cheese (any creamy mild cheese) thinly sliced/cubed
1/3 c fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded
3/4 c heavy cream
* I added prosciutto on top
1. Saute the mushrooms with the whole garlic clove in 2 T of the butter over high heat. Add salt & pepper, lower the heat & cook for 3 minutes. Discard the garlic.
2. Cook pasta as directed. Drain & dress with remaining butter
3. Butter an ovenproof dish & cover the bottom with a layer of penne.
4. Distribute about 1/4 of the mushrooms & the cheese evenly over the pasta & sprinkle with 1 T of parmesan.
5. Add another layer of pasta and cover with mushrooms and cheese as before. Repeat until you have used all ingredients finishing with the cheeses.
6. Pour the cream over, sprinkle with salt & pepper and bake, covered with foil, in preheated oven at 400 for 10 minutes. Bake uncovered 10 minutes. Remove & allow to cool 5 minutes. Serves 4-6.