Saturday, March 7, 2009

Martha Washington's

Martha Washington's
My mom made these when I was a kid and every now and then I hear someone (usually older than me) talk about them. They are delicious and one recipe makes about 90-100 (small) pieces of candy. Have you ever heard of them?
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1 lb pecans, chopped
32 oz powdered sugar (6 cups)
1 stick butter
1/2-1 t vanilla
1/2 c coconut
16 oz semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/2 stick parafin wax (where the canning supplies are)

1. Mix 1st 6 ingredients and chill at least 2 hours in an airtight container.
2. Start melting wax in double boiler.
3. Meanwhile, roll mixture into 1-2" balls. 1" is the perfect bite-sized treat for kids and adults. 2" makes pretty big candy, especially after it has been dipped.
4. When paraffin is just about melted, add chocolate and mix well.
5. Dip balls into chocolate and set on a wax-lined tray. Chill.

Note: My husband does not like chocolate so I dip them in white chocolate and call them George Washingtons.

No comments: