Chai Cake with Chai Glaze by Gold Medal Cake
2 tea bags (orange & spice)
2/3 c boiling water
1 c flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cardamom
1/4 t salt
3/4 c granualted sugar
1/2 c butter
1 t vanilla
Chai glaze* recipe follows
1. Heat oven to 350. Line bottom and side of round pan 8x1 1/2", with cooking parchment paper. Grease paper with shortening; lightly flour.
2. Place tea bags in boiling water in measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes. Remove tea bags, squeezing liquid into measuring cup. Add enough water to tea to measure 2/3 c. Measure 1/2 c tea for cake, reserve 2T for glaze.
3. Mix flour through salt, set aside. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium, scraping bowl occasionally, until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with 1/2 c tea until smooth. Pour into pan.
4. Bake 28-33 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, remove to a wire rack. Cool completely, about an hour.
5. Spread glaze over top of cake, allowing some to drizzle down side. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
GLAZE: 2 T butter 1 1/2 c powdered sugar 2 T reserved prepared tea 1 t vanilla 1/4 t ground cinnamon
GLAZE: Melt butter in 1 qt saucepan over medium heat. Stir in remaining ingredients until smooth.