Steak Fajita Chili by Paula Deen (Jan/Feb '08 magazine)
1 lb flank steak
2 T vegetable oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 c water
3 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can ranch-style beans
1 (15 oz) can black beans
1 (14.5 oz) can petit diced tomatoes
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
3 t Ancho chili powder
2 t ground cumin
2 t fresh lime juice
1 t garlic salt
1 t ground black pepper
garnish: shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream
1. Cut steak across grain into thin strips. Cut strips into 1" pieces.
2. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add steak; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add peppers and onions; cook 5 minutes. Stir in water through pepper.
4. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
5. Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
In my opinion:
This was fabulous. It is such a healthy meal too. It makes at least 10 servings so get out the plastic containers and freeze some for another day or share with friends. There are few dishes and other than the time it takes to chop all the vegetables, it is a simple meal.