Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Oven Fried Chimichangas (Pumkin Patch Blog)

2/3 c picante sauce or your favorite salsa
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 1/2 c cooked chicken, chopped
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions, chopped with some tops (About 1/4 c)
6 8" flour tortillas (I used 4 large but didn't use beans)
2 T margarine(or butter), melted
shredded cheddar for serving
chopped green onions for serving
picante sauce for serving

1. Mix chicken, picante sauce, cumin, oregano, cheese, and onions.
2. Place about 1/4 c chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
3. Fold opposite sides over filling.
4. Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
5. Brush with melted butter/margarine.
6. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until golden.
7. Garnish with additional cheese or green onion and serve salsa on the side.

Serve with Mexican rice/beans

In my opinion: These turned out better than I thought. I love chimichangas at Mexican restaurants but the REAL ones are fried, right? I really liked these a lot. I made notes on my recipe card to serve with sour cream, pico, or guacamole.

No comments: