#20 Pecan Praline Bars from Mary Engelbreit cookbook
3/4 c unsalted butter
1 c packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 t vanilla extract
1/2 t salt
1 c flour
12 oz pecans (3c)
1/2 c unsalted butter
3 c packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c light corn syrup
1/2 t salt
1 c heavy cream
2 T bourbon or dark rum
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line 15x10 jellyroll pan with foil, allowing foil to extend over sides. Grease.
2. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium. Remove from heat & whisk in brown sugar, then eggs, vanilla, and salt with wooden spoon.
3. Stir in flour. Scrape into pan, spreading & smoothing with rubber spatula sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Bake 15 minutes or until springy. Cool on wire rack.
5. Spread pecans on large baking sheet & toast 8 min. Set aside til cooled.
6. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a full boil, stirring occasionally. Boil 2 minutes or until caramel reaches 250 degrees F on a candy thermometer (soft-ball stage). Remove from heat.
7. Carefully add cream and bourbon to caramel (mixture may bubble up); stir until smooth. Stir in toasted nuts, then pour over crust.
8. Place pan on baking sheet to prevent crust from overbrowning and bake 25 minutes. Very carefully, holding pan level (topping isn't firm yet), transfer pan to a wire rack. Let cool completely.
9. Place baking sheet on top of jelly-roll pan and invert both together. Remove pan and peel off foil. Cover with a large cutting board and invert so bars are right side up. Using a sharp knife, cut into 60 squares.Makes 60 servings