Thursday, July 29, 2010

Couscous with Mushrooms by The Deen Brothers

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
10 ounces white mushrooms, quartered and thinly sliced
1 medium (about 1 cup) Vidalia onion, finely chopped (I used a white onion)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup uncooked couscous (found in stores near the rice)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves, optional, for garnish

1. Heat the oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes more.

2. Add the chicken broth and the salt. Bring to a boil and stir in the couscous. Immediately remove the pan from the heat, cover it, and let it stand until all the liquid is absorbed, about 5 to 10 minutes.

3. Uncover and fluff the couscous with a fork. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with the basil, if desired, and serve immediately.

In my opinion: This was the first time I have ever made couscous. The first time I ate it was when a friend brought me a meal after having my 4th baby. She mixed fresh rosemary in hers and it was wonderful. This recipe was wonderful too! My husband liked it and he doesn't like mushrooms. It was pretty easy to make, I actually chopped the mushrooms into smaller pieces. We had it with chicken and salad but it is a great rice substitute with any meal.

No comments: